Sunday, October 2, 2016

Week Sept. 27.

Hey everyone!!!

So today was my learning activity presentation. I had the topic of whole number operations. Honestly I was really nervous going first and all so I'm hoping it went well. Using what I learned in the class previous, and in other classes I am taking; I decided to gamify the topic and activity in order to grasp the attention of my fellow classmates. I related it to a real life situation (even though it was fictional) and based the question I had on that real life situation. I created a batman vs the riddler theme. Here is my problem:

The Riddler has taken over Gotham City and is hiding out in secret location. In order to enter, Batman needs to solve the code to enter the base and find the Riddler. Will you help defeat the Riddler, Batman needs your help!
Using the resources given to you and techniques learned in class, use the clues left by the Riddler to get the code to help Batman enter the secret hide out.
[The resource would be base ten blocks of 100, 10 and 1 to help with grouping and a number line on graph paper to help with a visual. The clues left by the Riddler are: five numbers add to 100 (Clue 1), the difference between the greatest number and the lowest number is 12 (Clue 2), the numbers in the sequence cannot be the same (Clue 3), there are 2 codes (Clue 4). They would be on separate pages and you would explain to the students they cannot show there clues to another group member, they would have to verbally communicate with each other about their individual clues.]

I really hope the class enjoyed the activity and had fun. Also my fellow class mates who presented also did a great job!

Also, this week in class we focused on multiple ways to express and show how to complete an equation. When doing subtraction we used two methods: compensation subtraction and constant difference.

The example of compensation subtraction is as follows:

 547
-296

simply add 4 to each number you get

 551
-300
 251

The example of constant difference is as follows:

 2002
- 467

when you take away 3 from each number you get

 1999
- 464
 1535

Using these methods you can make equations simpler and easier to follow along and understand the key concepts of subtraction.

We also talked about the different ways to express 25 x 28. We can use an array to simplify the parts of the equation. Also shown in the picture below are the many different we can explain to a learner how to solve for 28 x 25.




Finally, students need to see math as sensible (not something they don't need), useful (related to real life), and do-able (for confidence). We talked about what makes a good math problem and these words also fall under that category. Some other things that make a good problem are wide base, variable, engaging and entertaining.

Thanks for stopping by, catch you next week. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    First of all, I would like to say that you did an excellent job on your learning activity presentation. I know that it is not easy being the first one to step up to the plate but you captivated everyone with your unique and interactive problem. I really like the Riddler theme, as I feel that many students will be able to relate because superheros are always popular.

    I completely agree that students need to see math as something that is practical in their everyday life.Something that is "useful" to them and something that is not overly difficult and they can do with confidence.
    Keep up the good work Matt, I look forward to reviewing your blog.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAMIFICATION! Yes! This was such a fascinating concept, who knew you could apply game strategies to learning. Great job on your presentation! I was captivated right away and my competitive side definitely came out.

    How can we gamify math further? It would be cool to come with a badge or reward system for students to track their progress in different strands!

    ReplyDelete